My Spidey sense sez that Bobby Abreu is the most likely "impact bat" that Stoneman will pursue before the trade deadline. Why?
- Phillies suck.
- Abreu, weirdly, has never been loved in Philly.
- Dude's under contract until the end of 2007.
- Angels got prospects.
- Stoneman's serious when he says he won't do jack unless it's for an "impact bat."
- I want you all to go and drool over Abreu's career numbers. Some highlights:
- At least 99 runs scored in each of the last 7 years.
- 100 walks or more each of the last 7 years.
- Lowest career OBP -- .393.
- Current OBP -- .442. (Highest Angel OBP -- .408.)
- Averaged 30 steals the last 7 years (and only 9 CS).
- Lifetime .302/.413/.509.
- Yes, his power is declining, but this is a bat that will not only help a ton the next 1.5 years, but will help even more by removing the last excuse possible for Scioscia to start G.A. in left field.
So -- who are you willing to trade?
My preferred package
Juan Rivera (they'll want a ML outfielder, and we'll need to move one).
Jeff Mathis (now expendable, and they got no catching).
Kevin Gregg (he could be packaged as a starter).
Who would you give up?