Just a couple things I've been thinking about with regards to various rumors and suggestions that are out there...
- I still don't understand why the Angels would be interested in trading for Curtins Granderson. He's been primarily a leadoff hitter in recent years, yet he has a very high strikeout rate and at best a modest OBP
- I think signing Jason Bay is the best way to improve the club if we aren't able to land one of the big starting pitchers out there (Halladay, Lackey, Jackson). But I don't agree with the notion that it means the end of Vladimir Guerrero's Angels career. Maybe I love Vlad too much, but I'd see him as our DH, Bay in left, Torii in center, and Bobby in right, than have Granderson or Juan Rivera somewhere in the mix.
- Why not turn Juan Rivera into a quality reliever or a middle of the rotation starter? If we end up losing out on the big pitchers out there, I could see Juan Rivera (and maybe someone else) being swapped for a Derek Lowe - type player. I think this would be more beneficial to the Angels than Curtis Granderson would be.
- I'd like to see the Angels go after some high risk/high reward free agent pitchers like Rich Harden or Erik Bedard. Sure, they're both more than likely to miss some time to injury. But hasn't John Lackey missed time the last two years as well? Harden and Lackey have totalled the same number of starts the last two season but Harden has better career numbers.
- An obvious one: we cannot let the Mariners beat us out for either John Lackey or Jason Bay. If they sign one, we need to sign the other to even it out. Otherwise, the Mariners might just be the new favourites in the AL West.
That's just how I feel...
k now you can rip into me now.