WiHaloFan posted a link to the CBS story on this, but Chone's amazing journey to St Louis is interesting enough I thought it deserved it's own fan post. Here's what happened:
Well of course GA is just too damn lazy to drive around to Figgy's pad and wake him up. GA rings Desmond. No luck. So Blue Smoke does the next best thing. GA calls Desmond's uncle, presumably in Georgia and wide awake.
Figgy's uncle tries calling his nephew. No joy, Desmond is still floating zzzzzzzzzzzs.
Uncle Figgins calls Mama Figgins. Mama Figgins tries calling her beloved 2nd boy. Desmond is still out like a light. She rings back Uncle Figgins.
Uncle Figgins scratches his head. He has the number of one of Figgy's mates, Keith Johnson, an Angels minor league coach. Aha! This is the stroke of luck! ... It just so happens that Keith is crashed out that night at Figgins' pad.
- Chone is snoozing peacefully in his pad in Newport on Tuesday morning.
- Angels VP and comm manager Tim Mead gets an early morning phone call from the American League office: "Get Chone Figgins' ass out to St Louis, Joe Maddon wants him in the All-Star game. Evan Longoria's got a messed-up finger."
- So Mead, who has everybody's phone number in the world, calls Figgy. No luck. Desmond is sawing logs and has his mobile switched off, doesn't hear the house phone.
- What does Mead do next? Can't he drive around to Figgy's place? Can he send an intern around there? Nope, they don't start work till 9am, that's too late.
- Mead looks into his contact list on his mobile and calls early-riser Garret Anderson, Figgy's buddy, who lives in Irvine. Can you get hold of Desmond please?
Keith Johnson answers his phone and gets the news. This is 8.30am PST. He goes over to Figgy's bedroom, bangs on the door, scares the shit out of poor Desmond who is probably dreaming of the St Louis Arch, and tells him to get his ass up, he's going to the All-Star game!
Kenny Higdon, Angels equipment manager, gets Figgy's gear together, Figgy gets a noon flight from LAX, lands in St Louis just after Air Force One, and gets a red-carpet police escort to Busch Stadium.
He gets into his Angels uni with 10 minutes to spare to make it onto the field for the player introductions.
Chone Figgins, All-Star. Just like he (and all of us) wanted it.
This Fan-Post is authored by an independent fan. Tell us what you think and how you feel.