It was a beautiful day for a game...perfect baseball weather. Here are a few random thoughts...
1) Right about 12:00 Noon, Napoli went out to the Nick Adenhart logo in center field, tapped it (as we have seen Weaver do), and then he wrote or drew something on the warning track. If anyone know what I wrote, I’d be curious to find out.
2) Unless he’s hurt, it bugged me to find out Izzy was sitting out the game. I don’t care how well Aybar and Kendrick did today. Izzy has earned a starting spot. He should not have to sit down and await another opportunity. He already EARNED it!
3) Not sure if Vlad is back, but the Vlad we have seen the last 2 days is a lot better than the Vlad of the last 2-3 weeks. It was also good to see him in RF again.
4) Saunders needs a break. I hope the ASB will give him the rest he seems to need. He looks tired, and his confidence seems to be waning. He was 1-0 on probably 90% of the batters today, and I bet he was 2-0 on close to 50% of the batters. That said, he would have still had a chance at a victory if not for Howie’s error in the 3rd inning. That really hurt.
5) Do my eyes deceive me, or do we really have a chance for 3 players with 25-30 HR’s and 90-110 RBI’s (Hunter, Rivera, Morales), and a combination of Napoli/Abreu for a 4th (Napoli with 25-30 HR’s Abreu with 90-110 RBI’s)? This offense could really be scary if Vlad continues to improve. This is definitely the best Angel offense since 2002…so far anyway.
6) Speier got the job done in the 6th, but it was scary! We still need help in the ‘pen. On the other hand, Bulger’s strike out of Brian Roberts in the 8th was a thing of beauty.
7) On the post-game report, Rory said this is the first time the Angels have come back for victories from 4 run deficits in successive games since the ’79 series against the Yankees (right before the ASB). Oh man…that ‘79 series was one of the best 4 game series EVER.