I can't remember the last time I've been this worked up about a game. I was upset with the way the Angels lost in the playoffs last year, but that seemed inevitable, if disappointing. This was just a punch in the gut. I was screaming at my television set.
I can't explain it. It wasn't a playoff game. It didn't really hurt us in the playoff race since Texas lost...I'm just...PISSED. I'm obviously still mad at the umpiring, but there are so many other things that frustrated me:
- The very poor middle infield defense in the 6th inning. Yes, there was a blown call on Aybar's transfer, but that should have been a double play regardless.
- The great pitches Saunders kept making that wound up being hits.
- Juan Rivera's inexcusable laziness, first on the bomb he hit to center that should have been a triple, even for the slowest of players, and then on that last pop fly into left.
- The coaching that had Juan Rivera playing that deep in the first place
- Brian Fuentes's inability to get three outs without causing us a coronary (and this goes whether the umpire calls Green out or not).
- A complete lack of situational hitting, highlighted especially by Figgins, whom I love but who has been absolutely WORTHLESS with a runner on third and less than two outs recently.
Barring a complete collapse of epic proportions, the Angels will make the playoffs. But they better get their $*&% right before then, because it's going to be a looooong three game sweep if they don't.
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I feel a little better. But I'm still pissed.