John and Ken had Reagins on for an interview for about 15 minutes tonight, just concluding. My notes of Tony's prime points are after the break.
1) the Wells deal was all about length of contract. 4 years.
2) the problem with the Beltre and Crawford contracts were length of contract.
(So we can certainly validate that the prime directive for player contracts is contain the term. This should be considered a real problem going forward, since that makes the Angels the outlier in deal negotiations during FA season. All any team has to do to top an Angel offer is offer the 5th year.)
3) The FO is not as worried about losing an ability to re-sign Weaver, because they are going to leverage the dollars coming off the books (although I pointed out elsewhere today that arbitration keeps eating into those savings.)
4) Vernon Wells setting up for CF, although discussion ongoing. There was some consideration for Bourjos in CF with "Wells and Hunter on the wings". Just the fact that they are still considering Wells at CF is a bit of a concern.
5) Yeah. It is going to be Wood/Izzy/Callaspo at 3B.
6) BUT...Conger is in the mix to win a roster spot.