The Angels employ a baseball player named Mike Trout, and he's pretty good. In May 2012, he won the AL Rookie of the Month Award by hitting .324 with 5 HRs, 6 doubles, 2 triples, 16 RBIs, 21 runs, and 8 SBs. That's good for anyone, let alone a 20 year old rookie. The very next month, which concludes over the weekend, there's a decent chance he'll win Player of the Month...
Trout followed up his electrifying May with a dominant June, improving in just about every offensive category, and leading (yes, leading) the Angels to a 17-7 record (so far). In June, Trout hit .394/.443/.567 with 27 runs, 16 RBIs, 3 HRs, 7 doubles, 1 triple, and 13 SBs. He also had a monster catch vs. the Orioles. Thus far in June, he's leading the AL in...
- fWAR (at 2.2. he's 0.3 ahead of anyone else)
- Runs (5 more than anyone else)
- Hits (6 more than any one else)
- SBs (2 more than anyone else)
- Batting average (among regulars with at least 75 ABs, 44 points ahead of the next guy)
- OBP (amongst those with at least 75 PAs)
Yeah so Trout had a good month. But was it good enough? Here are a few other main contenders...
- Jose Bautista- .267/.402/.767 with 14 HRs, 22 runs, 29 RBIs, 1.7 fWAR
- Robinson Cano- .341/.423/.736 with 10 HRs, 20 runs, 19 RBIs, 1.9 fWAR
- Chris Sale- 3-0 in 37.2 IP over 5 starts, 33:8 K/BB ratio, 2.15 ERA, 0.90 WHIP and a .198 BAA, 1.2 fWAR
- Ivan Nova- 3-0 in 35.2IP over 5 starts, 27:9 K/BB ratio, 1.26 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, and a .209 BAA. 0.8 fWAR
Those are the only main contenders I see (Beltre, Otriz, Plouffe, Alex Gordon all had nice months as well). If I had to guess, Jose Bautista would win based strictly on the lofty HR totals, but one can easily see how Trout added more valuable across the board. Barring something crazy over the weekend, what's your best guess for the award?
Oh, BTW, our very own Peter Bourjos had a higher OPS than Trout in June (1.065 to 1.011). Sure, it was over 28 PAs, but still!
(DISCLAIMER- I didn't use too many of the technical sabermetric stats, mainly because the award doesn't seem to be based on those...)