We've finished reading Halolinks...now what?
Today is that extra day off in baseball. This means there's nothing to do today. NOTHING! Halolinks is proud to help the loyal Halos Heaven readers fill in their day with these links. And some are even baseball related!
- I wonder if the Wells banner will be for sale at next year's yard sale? Angels are back on stride heading into 2nd half - MLB News - FOX Sports. "Indeed, the new pecking order in Anaheim becomes more obvious each week: An oversized poster of Vernon Wells was removed from above the main entrance to Angel Stadium before the club's final homestand last week, replaced by an action shot of Trumbo alongside the shots of Weaver, Pujols, Torii Hunter and left-hander C.J. Wilson.Thanks to the emergence of Trout and Peter Bourjos, along with the improvements of Trumbo and Kendrys Morales, Wells is likely to be either the majors' highest-paid fifth outfielder or another expensive write-off for the Angels."
- We've sorta covered this over the last couple of days, but here's a handy list: Potentially Available Starting Pitchers - MLBTradeRumors.com. "Within a few weeks we’ll know how the trade deadline will affect the value of top pitchers. Until then, here’s a look at which pitchers will -- or might -- be available between now and the upcoming trade deadline"
- Yep, when there's no games being played, everyone resorts to trade talk: Trade talk should heat up in baseball's 2nd half - Yahoo! Sports. "Francisco Liriano, LHP, Twins: Got off to a horrendous start to the season and was moved to the bullpen. But it's what have you done for me lately, and the lefty who will be a free agent this winter is 3-2 with a 2.74 ERA and .175 opponents' batting average since rejoining the rotation. Last-place Twins need young assets, and Liriano may be best trade chip."
- I could live with this: A Hypothetical Angels Trade for Zack Greinke - FanGraphs Baseball. "All this considered, I decree what follows to be the most likely prospect package from the Angels system... Some combination of: • Jean Segura, 2B/SS, B (who maybe can and maybe can’t stick at short) Plus two of the following:
• Kaleb Cowart, 3B, Grade B-
• C.J. Cron, 1B, Grade B-
• Luis Jimenez, 3B, Grade B-
Plus a starting-pitching prospect somewhere in the C-range"
Workbook: MLB Birthplaces. There have been 10 MLB players from where I am currently living. That's about a fifth of the population.
- Raaddad created a post about summertime reading; here's one from Grant Brisbee and what they're reading up north: Open Books & Music Thread - McCovey Chronicles. "Prior to those, I read The Corrections, which made me glad I wasn't a literary nerd on the same scale that I am a baseball nerd. Because I know that literary nerds are supposed to have Important Opinions about The Corrections, some of which have to do with the personality of the author. But I'm ignorant! So I loved the book -- one of my favorites of the past couple of years."
- And you thought your day was going bad?
Black Hawk Helicopter Pilot Survives 50-Foot Fall During Alaskan Mountain Race
At 12:50 pm on July 4, photographer Carol Griswold captured this amazing photograph of 34-year-old Penny Assman, a Black Hawk helicopter pilot from Utah who served two tours in Iraq, coming to the conclusion of a 50-foot slide-and-fall during the annual Mount Marathon footrace.
And now, stuff to occupy your baseball-less day:
- Really Cool YouTube Video
Angler's Worst Nightmare Comes True As "Big-Ass Shark" Steals The Fish Right Off Her Hook. "A shawk!"
Ted Nugent's drummer flees police in golf cart. Once they caught him, I bet they put him in a Stranglehold.
- Just how far will people go for a "free lunch?" Let's find out! - Brilliant marketing campaign.
World's Heaviest Woman Loses 98 Pounds With Marathon Sex (PHOTOS) Marathon sex? I'm more a 100 yard dash guy.
Indiana man pleads guilty to neglect, DWI for strapping kids to hood of car. That's illegal? Oops.
Great-grandmother, 91, catches foul ball in San Jose. One of Trumbo's home run derby bombs finally landed.
- And finally, once you've finished perusing these wonderful links, curl up on the couch and rejoice: Walmart.com: The Anaheim Angels 2002 World Series Collectors Edition (Full Frame)
How will you spend your day without baseball?
Jump off a cliff (and hope someone takes a picture). (14 votes)
Marathon sex with a fat woman (or man). (44 votes)
Reading. (28 votes)
Shark fishing. (17 votes)
Strap the kids onto the hood of the car and go for a drive. (30 votes)
Other (comment below) (40 votes)
173 total votes