I'll admit I was one of the first to say "No..doesn't make sense" when the guy first went on the block a few weeks back but since then, a few things have kept crossing my mind I cannot ignore:
1.) It has been mentioned that the Pirates and D-Backs do not match up well because AZ is looking for SS and 3B more than pitching.
* Our top prospect is Jean Segura, a SS/2B/3B type who at first glance is blocked in Anaheim.
* We have a valued, affordable 4th OF in Peter Bourjos to fill in from the get go.
2.) Jerry DiPoto's working relationship with Arizona. I have read nothing to suggest that he left on bad terms. I have read, though, some glowing comments from Kevin Towers that would suggest he has a good relationship with our current GM.
3.) Torii Hunter is vacating RF in about 3 months
4.) Justin Upton is a year younger than Peter Bourjos and has already posted an .899 OPS in his age 21 season and an .898 OPS in his age 23 season.
5.) Anyone else think joining a team where you don't have to be "The Guy" might be relaxing?
6.) Signed through 2015 on an under-market deal. Our outfield for the next 3 years would be Mike Trout/Mark Trumbo/Justin Upton with Albert Pujols at 1B.
7.) Arte is presumably in "Win-Now Mode" etc. with the clock ticking on Pujols, Wilson and Weaver and our window being the next 4 years.
There are some obvious cons though:
* The cost of acquiring him no doubt sacrifices guys who could help the Angels down the road at low cost
* It almost certainly demands a second move or expansion to a 3-team trade in order to open up a spot in the starting lineup (My first thought: Morales to Team X for prospects that AZ is interested in)
* The guy HAS been up and down so far in his career.
So what do other Angels fans think? Would Justin Upton and the potential for another young 30HR/SB outfielder the next 3.5 years be worth a potential cost? Is the potential ceiling for a young, athletic murderer's row in Anaheim for the foreseeable future worth the risk and loss of cheap assets that can help patch holes down the road?
Just food for thought on a slow morning. Discuss!