Off-day yesterday, make a slow news day today, but that doesn't mean we can't mention the Angels' 6-game winning streak. Or finally being in single digits in the GB column. Or their positive run differential. Or Halolinks:
- It's funny how the same stories are edited on different venues. Here's the write-up for the Cardinal-Angels game on Yahoo. They're talking to Albert Pujols about the obvious matchup with his former team: Cardinals-Angels Preview - Yahoo! Sports. "Pujols says that he continues to keep track of his former team. "It's a little bit different, because usually I'm rooting for them, but now I'm going to root against them for the next three days," Pujols said. "I still follow them real close. I'm pretty good friends with almost half the guys." And here's the same quote within the Angels MLB page: Angels slugger Albert Pujols fond of St. Louis, but has turned the page - angels.com. ""I still follow them real close," Pujols said of the Cardinals. "I'm pretty good friends with almost half the guys. Those are guys we had great success with. It was a hell of a run. Now, it's time to turn the page and bring the success I had there over here." It's become the core belief with the Halos, "Turn the page".
- Obviously, I follow the Angels pretty closely, but this guy came out of nowhere: J.B. Shuck: Discarded Astro, Valuable Angel - FanGraphs Baseball. ""As soon as I got released, Anaheim called and said, ‘Hey, we need a lefty off the bench and like how you play. We’re going to bring in a few guys, but we think you have a good shot at making our team.’ I jumped on that right away. It’s worked out."
- Some Trout All-Star stuff: Trout motoring toward start in All-Star Game - angels.com. "In a couple of weeks, Trout should become the first Angels position player to start the All-Star Game since Vladimir Guerrero in 2007. And at 21 years, 343 days old, Trout would be the youngest position player to do it since Ivan Rodriguez (21 years, 225 days) in 1993, according to the Elias Sports Bureau."
- Midseason Consensus Top 190 Prospects Update: Hitters - Beyond the Box Score. Spoiler alert: This post lists the top prospects in each league, Kaleb Cowart is the lone Angel.
- It seems the Dodgers are the potential destination for any trade candidate: Cubs, Dodgers talking potential Carlos Marmol trade - CBSSports.com. "Marmol, 30, collected four losses and three blown saves this season against two saves and five holds. He carries a 5.86 ERA, 1.70 WHIP and 21 walks in 27 2/3 innings." They're also rumored to be in on Chase Utley and Ricky Nolasco.
- Get well soon: Darren Daulton, former catcher for Philadelphia Phillies, has brain tumors removed - ESPN. "Dr. Kevin Judy says the 51-year-old Daulton is recovering at Thomas Jefferson Hospital following a seven-hour operation Monday and is expected to be released later this week. Judy says Daulton is doing fine physically and doctors will be monitoring his cognitive skills and speech function."