OMG and WTF.
That about wraps up last night's game. Wait, that about wraps up the entire series against the Rangers. Hold it, make that the whole frickin' season. WTF. OMG. Halolinks:
- So how'd that work out for you? Angels get back to some basics - angels.com. "For approximately 30 minutes, the Angels' pitchers and infielders worked on double plays, holding runners on, pickoff attempts and basic pitcher's fielding practice." The club worked on hold down the Texas running game after they stole 6 bases Tuesday night. Result? Seven stolen bases! WTF!
- Oh brother: Texas Rangers at Los Angeles Angels - August 7, 2013 - MLB.com. "There's some areas that are important to us that we're just not very good at right now (such as lineup management and bullpen usage?)," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "First and foremost, our starting pitchers, as a group, there's some individuals that are throwing the ball well, but as a group, we have to get better at getting us to a certain point in the game." I'm curious how he thinks this is going to happen. Are they just all of a sudden going to throw the ball better? Is someone going to sprinkle some fairy dust on the arms of the staff? I'd really like to hear the plan Scioscia and his coaches have come up with to improve the performance.
- Rangers 10, Angels 3 - Yahoo! Sports. "Leonys Martin and Elvis Andrus combined for five hits, five runs and six stolen bases, leading the Texas Rangers to a 10-3 win over the Los Angeles Angels on Wednesday that completed a three-game sweep." OMG.
- Texas Rangers at Los Angeles Angels - Aug 07, 2013 - CBSSports.com. "When asked if Hamilton would be struggling at the plate this much had he re-signed with the Rangers, Washington said: "That's a loaded question. I would like to say yes, but I don't know that. I do know they've got a quality player here -- five tools, baby. Five tools. He can take a ballgame over and do a lot of things. Maybe he's not doing them right now, but he hasn't lost that skill. I don't care if he keeps swinging and missing, he's still dangerous. "I think that he is still adjusting to his new environment, and it's a big adjustment," Washington added. "I think everybody's going to be very happy with him as [things evolve.] I think next season, they'll see what Josh is all about." Next season? WTF?
- Los Angeles Angels at Cleveland Indians - August 9, 2013 - MLB.com. "The Angels turn to their ace, Jered Weaver, with hopes to get back in the win column when they open a three-game set against the Indians at Progressive Field on Friday. The Halos have lost their last four games, and are 7-13 since the All-Star break, including two sweeps by the Rangers." OMG.
- It is fun having the best player in baseball on your favorite team...It’s Mike Trout’s 22nd birthday, so here are 22 pictures reminding you how good he is at baseball - Yahoo! Sports. "It's hard to argue that there's a better young player in baseball than Mike Trout. Heck, some people will tell you he's the best player in baseball, period." Happy 22nd Birthday, Mike Trout - FanGraphs Baseball. "To this point in his career, Mike Trout has been Ted Williams if Ted Williams was fast." Ignore the headline, read the notes: Rangers swipe seven bases, race past Angels - Yahoo! Sports. "With 77 career stolen bases though Tuesday, Trout joined Rickey Henderson and Ty Cobb as the only players in major league history to have 75 or more stolen bases before the age of 22."
- Of all of the links presented today, CLICK THIS ONE: Presenting 2013′s Surprising Top Two Pitch-Framers - FanGraphs Baseball. "Here are the top single-season framing numbers since 2007, when we first got (limited) PITCHf/x:
2008 Jose Molina, +4.1 strikes/game
2009 David Ross, +3.7
2009 Jose Molina, +3.6
2013 Yasmani Grandal, +3.0
2013 Hank Conger, +2.9
- The Orange County Register wants you to pay for access to their top-notch reporting...here's an example:
Just one thing Earl, 8-3 was the score from Tuesday's game, last night (Trout's birthday) the Halos lost by the score of 10-3. Sure, it's just a small mistake, and everyone knows I make my share of 'em, but no one is charge you to read my stuff.
- Boy, that Alex Rodriguez sure has some chutzpah! - Baseball Nation. "The great majority of Americans, when confronted with some disciplinary action, will exhaust every possibility before suffering the maximum punishment. Generally this falls under the heading of "due process". But because Alex Rodríguez is Alex Rodríguez, we prefer him to keep his mouth shut and take it like a man. And perhaps ask for another, please sir."
- It would be kind of awkward if this high schooler was drafted by the Yankees - MLB.com