We're within a month of pitcher and catchers showing up in camp. Hold on just a little longer....
- Our long, cold, lonely winter should be drawing to a close this week. Okay, forget cold and lonely, but definitely LONG is a fitting word to use in describing this whole Tanaka saga: The latest on Masahiro Tanaka - MLB Daily Dish. "Tanaka has to agree to terms with a team by Friday, but reports indicate that he is more likely to do so on Tuesday or Wednesday to give the signing team some time to review medicals." The Cubs have emerged as the favorite to sign the Japanese ace, but don't count out the Dodgers, Yankees, or possibly even the Angels.
- Peter Bourjos is looking to have a great season in St. Louis, and is already saying all the right things: Bourjos says he would like 40 stolen bases: "Given his lack of use by the Angels the last couple of years, Bourjos said he wasn’t at all surprised to be dealt. "Things haven’t gone well the last couple of years there. I didn’t think I was going to stick around much longer," he said."
- Nice pad: Angels Ace Jered Weaver Looks to Deal Newport Home. "Built in 2004, the athlete’s home has three bedrooms, three full baths, a great room and a gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances and a large center island. The master suite comes complete with a private sitting area, an office, custom "his and her" closets and a resort-like bath with a soaking tub." Asking price: $1.7M (approx), which seems pretty reasonable for that area.
- Here's a post full of numbers and graphs: Determining the most well-rounded player seasons - Beyond the Box Score. "In baseball, well-rounded five-tool player production is highly coveted. Which players have produced baseball's most statistically well-rounded seasons?"
Take us back to "Take Me Out" - The Hardball Times. "It would be more significant if we further proved America's resilience by going back to the way things were, if we showed everyone the world over that we put our games in the proper perspective by celebrating the distractions they are. "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" does that quite well." I thought they should have rebuilt the World Trade Center exactly as it was before the 9/11 terrorist attacks for the same reason the author of this post states teams should go back to using "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch.
- I'm on record as saying I thought Brandon Wood was the next big deal. he's still around, but now he's barely considered organizational depth. Padres Fielding Trade Calls On Logan Forsythe - MLBTradeRumors.com. "From the Padres' perspective, Forsythe clearly does not have a starting spot and may be somewhat redundant with fellow utility player Alexi Amarista. With several other depth options also under contract -- including Ryan Jackson, Brandon Wood, and Alberto Gonzalez -- the club could try to flip Forsythe for a southpaw bullpen piece or low-level prospects."