Lots to report in Angelville this afternoon.
Mike Trout and his sore hamstring have the day off tonight, the first game of the season in which Trout is not starting. Meanwhile Kole Calhoun is back on the big club and batting sixth tonight, playing in RF. For the second night in a row Collin Cowgill starts in CF (Trout DH'd last night).
Calhoun has been on the Disabled List for a month with a twisted ankle. He rehabbed in the minors and is big game ready.
To make room for Calhoun on the 25-man big league roster, pitcher Hector Santiago was sent to AAA Salt Lake where he will most likely pitch every fifth day as a starter. He had been demoted to long relief in the bullpen a week and a half ago, replaced in the rotation by Matt Shoemaker.
The lineup for tongiht's game in Anaheim goes like this:
- Howie Kendrick leads off
- Erick Aybar is in Trout's usual spot
- Albert Pujols is at 1B
- Raul Ibañez is the DH batting cleanup
- David Freese bats fifth and is at 3B
- Big Red aka Kole Calhoun is in RF batting sixth
- Hank Conger starts at Catcher for the second night in a row
- Collin Cowgill bats eighth
- Effren Navarro is in LF
...and Jered Weaver is on the mound.