While most of the world watches the World Series, prospects from around the league are showing off their stuff in the Arizona Fall League which runs through mid November.
The Angels prospects play on the Scottsdale Scorpions whose roster also includes prospects from the Mets (Hi Tebow!), Yankees, Phillies, and Giants. The Angels sent 4 pitchers, a catcher, an infielder, and an outfielder to the AFL, so let's check in how they are doing one week into the season.
Tonight at 6:35PM PST, you can watch some of these top prospects in action at MLB.com.
- Victor Alcantara, 23, RHP - Alcantara has pitched 3 more times and 3 more innings since our last report. He's struck out 6, walked 6, and allowed 6 runs through 5 innings of work so far. Not exactly coming out of the gate with a strong showing but control has been his weak point.
- Adam Hofacket, 22, RHP - Hofacket has thrown just 2 more innings since our lsat report. The good news is that through 4.2 total innings, he's only walked 1 but he's also given up 3 runs and has a .364 BAA.
- Grayson Long, 22, RHP - Long was much improved in his second start of the AFL, allowing only 1 run and 2 hits through 3 innings while striking out 4. His first time on the mound he had given up 7 hits and 3 earned runs.
- Eduardo Paredes, 21, RHP - Paredes is having a so-so fall with a 5.40 ERA but also has a low .211 BAA. He's allowed 4 hits and 4 walks in 5 innings of work. This dude is only 21 through, so he has time on his side.
- Taylor Ward, 23, C - Ward has been a standout for the Scorpions. He has yet to talk a walk, but is hitting .333 with a .476 slugging percentage. He's notched 2 multi hit game and has only struck out twice in 21 AB. Pretty sure he lands on the Mobile Bay Bears in 2017 so we'll see how he does against AA pitching.
- David Fletcher, 22, INF - Fletcher is just 4 for 20 but has a .304 OBP and a hit home run on Tuesday. He's played in 5 games and his been on base in 4 of them.
- Michael Hermosillo, 21, OF - Hermosillo has a respectable .344 OBP and hit a triple earlier in the week. He's stolen a base in one attempt and has only struck out 4 times in 28 AB. Nothing crazy but he's looking pretty solid in the AFL.