Billy Eppler's comments got you down? There will be no fire sale. There will be no "rebuilding". Just lip service for better leverage or reality? Anyone who has paid any attention during the Arte Moreno years, knows this is probably reality.
We’ll continue to invest throughout this season, with a mind for this season, with a mind for the future and this winter with a mind towards competing and contending year in and year out.
Okay. So we are going to compete and contend and if you read into that comment it means this year as well as next year. How is that possible?
- The Angels have perhaps the greatest manager ever. He has the highest winning percentage of ANY active manager and if he wasn't so great, why would Arte give him a 10 year contract? We are in good hands.
- One of the best and most dangerous hitters to ever play the game is on our team in the name of Albert Pujols. Never mind his .244 AVG and that he's already almost hit into as many double plays in 2015 as he did in 2016. The breaks just aren't going his away, but he's hitting the ball harder than his numbers would imply. And hey! Did we tell you he is #11 on the all time HR list? Something to be excited about as a fan.
- Our starting pitching is just fine. We have suffered some setbacks with injuries, but the miracle cures on Heaney and Richards are doing their thing and they will both probably go undefeated when they come back in August, right? Also - we have the Freak! He's a 3-time World Series champions and 2-time Cy Young winner. This guy will light our fire until our aces come back You'll see.
- What bullpen problems? Salas is okay. He's just not executing the pitches like he has in the past. He will. And, Joe Smith is almost back. We are talking about one of the best 8th inning guys in all of baseball. Don't forget (former) All-Star Huston Street who had a 1.37 ERA (in 2012). Who wouldn't want this guy as a closer?
- How about that upgrade at third base? Finally we had a lead off hitter and one of the best on-base guys we've ever had playing the hot corner. Errors? Bah. He more than makes up for it at the plate.
- Speaking of new guys, how can you not be competitive when you have a guy like Andrelton Simmons at shortstop? Those highlight reel plays alone are bound to make us more competitive.
- We don't have a problem in left field either. How many teams have so much depth in their outfield they can put 10 guys there during the season? I'd say that's a strength, not a detriment.
- Don't forget Mike Trout and Kole Calhoun doing their things. I mean, we have Mike effing Trout! Come watch him play! Buy tickets! Get us to 3 million fans, because how can you not be competitive with Trout on your team and record breaking ticket sales?
- Our farm system doesn't have holes. It has opportunities. Think about all these guys who get a better chance to prove themselves than they would if our system was overflowing with talent? If you are a fringe guy who hopes to make it to the big league some day, consider yourself lucky that you are in the Angels Organization. We are going to find the diamonds-in-the-rough that no one else will. Take that Cubs!
- We will have a lot of money coming off the books this off season, even after they re-sign Jered Weaver. With that we can surely spend some on the most mediocre free agent class we've had in years. 50 million or so coming off the payroll? Dollar dollar bill y'all! With all the cash flow we'll be first in line for guys like Coco Crisp, Shane Victorino, R.A. Dickey, and Bartolo Colon. 2017 World Series, here we come!