Alex Bregman of those pesky Astros leads the list in this updated mid-season ranking. Sadly, and not too surprisingly, there are zero Angels organization players on the list. The Angels are one of only two teams (the other being the Orioles), that did not have a prospect crack the list. It's a rather depressing report and another statement on the lack of talent in the entire Angels system. The Angels also did not have a player on the top 30 international prospect list. Our best hope there was Roberto Baldoquin, in whose basket we placed all our eggs a few years ago, and he has turned out to be one big turd so far. Imagine if we were playoff contenders this year and needed one more pieces to make it happen? Who would the Angels even trade from our system to make a deal like that?
It's likely the Angels will see some of the 2016 draft class crack this list next time around. It would appear this list was compiled without taking into consideration the stats of the 2016 draft class.
Top 10 overall prospects on the list:
- Alex Bregman - SS/3B - Astros
- Yoan Moncada - 2B - Red Sox
- J.P. Crawford - SS - Phillies
- Lucas Giolito - RHP - Nationals
- Dansby Swanson - SS - Braves
- Julio Urias - LHP - Dodgers
- Andrew Benintendi - OF - Red Sox
- Brendan Rogers - SS/2B - Rockies
- Alex Reyes - RHP - Cardinals
- Tyler Glasnow - RHP - Pirates
Updated top 30 team lists were issued as well. You can find the Angels list here.
|3||Taylor Ward||22||C||Adv A||5|
|9||David Fletcher||22||SS||Adv A||25|
|13||Jake Jewell||23||RHP||Adv A||10|
|20||Jared Foster||23||OF||Adv A||n/a|
|21||Roberto Baldoquin||22||SS||Adv A||4|
|23||Jeremy Rhoades||23||RHP||Adv A||15|
|25||Kyle Survance Jr.||22||OF||Rok||24|
|29||Hutton Moyer||23||INF||Adv A||n/a|
|30||Adam Hofacket||22||RHP||Adv A||n/a|
We can delve into this list a bit further in the future, but it's clear that it's probably not completely accurate. Ie., Roberto Baldoquin has been horrible, yet he is still on the list. Brendan Lund who has the best stats of any 2016 draftee is absent from this list, as well as some other very deserving minor league players.
Dropped from the 2015 list:
- Kyle Kubitza, #6, 3B - Traded for cash
- Natanael Delgado, #11, OF - Traded for LHP Chris Jones
- Greg Mahle, #12, LHP - Graduated
- Todd Cunningham, #14, OF - Graduated
- Alex Yarbrough, #18, 2B - Removed (sent back down to AA from AAA this year)
- Austin Robichaux, #21, RHP - Removed
- Hunter Green, #22, LHP - Retired in May 2016
- Jett Bandy, #27, C - Graduated
- Justin Anderson, #28, RHP - Removed
- Jake Yacinish, #29, SS - Removed
- Jose Briceno, #30, C - Removed
(players with 45 days of MLB service time are no longer eligible for the list)
Other notable changes on the list include Roberto Baldoquin who free-fell from #4 all the way down to #21 and Jaime Barria, who made a huge jump from #20 to #7.
What do you think? Who are your favorites on this list? Who do you think got snubbed? Who is on this list that shouldn't be?