Did you notice? Probably not. Maybe Josh did. But did anyone else? You didn’t even hear anyone talking about it on the radio or ESPN or wherever you get your news. But I noticed. Just me. The Angels bullpen was AMAZING in August. Let me count the ways...
- Their 2.18 ERA was the best in baseball and ahead of the second best (Brewers @ 2.45) by a significant amount.
- If you want to argue that FIP is a better stat, the Angels were #1 there as well with a 2.39. The next best Brewers were almost 1 whole run worse at 3.33.
- The best bullpen WAR in baseball last month? You guessed it - the Angels who at 2.6 were a full point ahead of the second best Rockies.
- Most wins by a bullpen? Yep. The Angels had 10 in August.
- Fewest walks by a bullpen? Yep. The Angels were tied with the Indians at just 21 walks.
- Most strikeouts? Of course! The Angels bullpen had 117 (Yankees were second at 114).
August Bullpen Stats
|Jose Alvarez||0||0||0||7.2||0.241||8.22||0||0||0.318||100.0 %||45.5 %||0.00||1.31||0.91||0.3|
|Andrew Bailey||0||0||0||1||0.250||0||0||0||0.250||100.0 %||25.0 %||0.00||3.14||1.00||0|
|Troy Scribner||0||0||0||1||0.000||0||9||0||0.000||100.0 %||50.0 %||0.00||6.14||1.00||0|
|Jesse Chavez||2||0||0||15||0.180||12||1.2||0||0.300||90.9 %||43.3 %||0.60||0.87||0.73||0.5|
|Yusmeiro Petit||1||0||1||15.1||0.218||10.57||2.35||0.59||0.306||89.0 %||32.4 %||1.76||2.42||1.04||0.6|
|Cam Bedrosian||2||1||3||13||0.180||11.08||4.15||0||0.265||66.7 %||45.5 %||2.08||2.06||1.15||0.4|
|Blake Parker||0||0||3||12.2||0.119||9.95||2.13||0.71||0.148||75.8 %||42.9 %||2.13||2.66||0.63||0.3|
|Blake Wood||1||0||0||4||0.143||11.25||0||0||0.222||50.0 %||66.7 %||2.25||0.64||0.50||0.1|
|Eduardo Paredes||0||1||0||10.1||0.211||6.97||2.61||0||0.267||72.7 %||33.3 %||2.61||2.46||1.06||0.2|
|Keynan Middleton||3||1||2||13.2||0.317||11.85||0.66||1.32||0.425||93.0 %||40.5 %||2.63||2.62||1.46||0.4|
|Bud Norris||1||1||3||9.1||0.326||10.61||0.96||2.89||0.379||76.3 %||28.1 %||6.75||5.60||1.61||-0.1|
Just look at how beautiful (most of) those stats are! I challenge you to find another bullpen who has THAT MANY pitchers playing so well. Every single dude but one on this list had an ERA below 2.64. Every single one of them (except for Norris again) had a positive WAR.
This bullpen also ranks near the top of the list if you look at full season stats, second half stats, or however you want to break it down. They’ve helped keep this team in the playoff hunt for sure - and in August? No bullpen was even close to what the Angels did.
Was the bullpen perfect in August? Nope. Was it the best? I think the numbers above speak for themselves.