Tommy La Stella, traded to the A’s at the trade deadline, had the headlining moment, singling to open the seventh inning, breaking up Lucas Giolito’s perfect game. The Whit Sox prevailed in that one, 4-1.
Matt Shoemaker started Game 1 for the Blue Jays, but was pulled after only three terrific, and scoreless, innings. Tampa Bay won at home, 3-1.
Zack Greinke started Game 1 for the Astros, and despite a 36-pitch first inning escaped the frame unscathed. Greinke allowed one run on two hits in four innings, but was pulled down 1-0. The strategy worked, as Houston rallied late to win, 4-1.
Martin Maldonado started at catcher for Houston and singled in his four at-bats.
Let’s see what Wednesday brings. To that end, there are eight — YES, EIGHT!!! — games on the docket for Wednesday. Start the coffeemaker now.
Wednesday MLB schedule
(all times PT)
- 9:08 a.m.: Reds at Braves, Game 1 (ESPN)
- 10:08 a.m.: Astros at Twins, Game 2 (ESPN2)
- 11:08 a.m.: Marlins at Cubs, Game 1 (ABC)
- 12:10 p.m.: White Sox at A’s, Game 2 (ESPN)
- 1:07 p.m.: Blue Jays at Rays, Game 2 (TBS)
- 2:08 p.m.: Cardinals at Padres, Game 1 (ESPN2)
- 4:08 p.m.: Yankees at Indians, Game 2 (ESPN)
- 7:08 p.m.: Brewers at Dodgers, Game 1 (ESPN)