A few highlights from the Angels’ 7-5 loss to the Reds on Tuesday night in Goodyear:
While former Reds top draft pick Hunter Greene lit up the radar gun in the first inning, the Angels also got to him for three hits, including this three-run home run by shortstop Jose Iglesias.
Chris Rodriguez struck out both batters he faced in the third inning, including this whiff of Joey Votto:
The Angels scheduled starting pitchers over the next three days: Dylan Bundy on Wednesday, Griffin Canning on Thursday, then Shohei Ohtani on Friday.
- Jared Walsh, who hit .337/.368/.744 with nine home runs last September, hopes to parlay that into a strong full season in 2021, writes Jeff Fletcher at the Orange County Register.
- Jaime Barría, who used option years in 2018, 2019, and 2020, could have a fourth option year depending on an upcoming arbiter’s ruling. Fletcher has more details at the OC Register.
- Pitcher Gerardo Reyes has a sprained UCL, the Angels told beat reporters on Tuesday.
- The start of the Triple-A season, originally planned for April 6, will now take place in the first week of May, per Jeff Passan of ESPN. In the interim between the start of the major league season in the minors beginning, the Angels will use their Class-A facility in San Bernardino as the alternate training site, per Jack Harris of the Los Angeles Times.
- What to expect at spring training in Arizona, from Harris and Jorge Castillo at the LA Times.
- Former Angels outfielder Kole Calhoun, now with the Diamondbacks, will have surgery Wednesday to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee, per David Brandt of the Associated Press.