The Angels finalized their opening day roster on Wednesday night with a flurry of moves. As manager Joe Maddon said after Tuesday night’s game, reliever Aaron Slegers claimed the final spot in the bullpen, completing a relief makeover that features seven new pitchers.
Other expected moves were non-roster invitees Juan Lagares and José Rojas making the team. To make room for them on the 40-man roster, the Angels placed infielder Franklin Barreto on the 60-day injured list with a right elbow strain and designated pitcher Kyle Keller for assignment.
Rojas will now wear uniform number 18, after wearing number 80 all spring. He’s one of two rookies on the Angels roster, along with 22-year-old right-hander Chris Rodriguez.
Other roster moves Wednesday included reliever Felix Peña on the injured list with a right hamstring strain, and optioned pitchers Jaime Barria and Patrick Sandoval to the alternate training site in Tempe.
The Angels open their season on Thursday night against the White Sox, their first opening day game at home since 2016.
Angels opening day roster
- Two-way player (1): Shohei Ohtani
- Starting pitchers (5): Dylan Bundy, Andrew Heaney, Alex Cobb, Griffin Canning, Jose Quintana
- Right-handed relievers (6): Raisel Iglesias, Mike Mayers, Steve Cishek, Junior Guerra, Chris Rodriguez, Aaron Slegers
- Left-handed relievers (2): Alex Claudio, Tony Watson
- Catchers (2): Max Stassi, Kurt Suzuki
- Infielders (6): Jared Walsh, Albert Pujols, David Fletcher, Jose Iglesias, Anthony Rendon, José Rojas
- Outfielders (4): Mike Trout, Justin Upton, Dexter Fowler, Juan Lagares