Shohei Ohtani delivered one of his best outings on the mound this season as the Angels picked up the 6-2 victory over the Rockies.
Ohtani went seven innings for the third time this season. It was only his third game in which he issued zero walks. For the game, he struck out five and allowed only one run on five hits, lowering his season ERA to 3.05. If you were to take out that awful start against the Yankees, his ERA on the season would be 2.27.
After a scoreless inning on the mound, Ohtani gave the Angels the lead with an RBI single in the bottom of the first. While he was on first base, Ohtani stole his 14th base of the season. Per Matt Birch, Ohtani became the first Angels pitcher to steal a base since Ismael Valdez on June 8, 2001. He’s the first Angels pitcher to steal a base at home since Nolan Ryan Oct. 4, 1972 vs. Oakland.
Here’s another insane fact for you.
#Angels Shohei Ohtani is also the first pitcher to have a hit, RBI and stolen base in an American League ballpark since Minnesota's Luis Tiant on April 26, 1970 vs. Detroit.— Matt Birch (@MattBirch12) July 27, 2021
On Ohtani’s final pitch of the night, he touched 100 mph. Like seriously, c’mon!
Angels news and notes
- With the win, the Angels are only five games back of the second Wild Card spot
- Mike Trout had a visit with his doctor, which went well according to Angels manager Joe Maddon. There is still no timetable for his return, but the hope is he can ramp up his activities soon.
- Jared Walsh exited Monday’s game late. He felt something in rib area. It was just precautionary.
- Alex Cobb is currently a TBD in regards to making his next start. He developed a blister in his last outing, but he downplayed it as being anything serious.
- There’s no update on when Anthony Rendon can potentially return. Whenever he’s feeling better he’ll likely be going on a rehab assignment. At this rate, that makes it look like middle-end August at the earliest we can see him return. He’s been out since July 6 with a left hamstring strain
- After starting on Sunday, Jaime Barria is still with the team as the club is unsure if they’ll use him in the rotation again.