clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Angels make a number of roster moves

Some moves on the active roster

Kansas City Royals v Los Angeles Angels Photo by Abbie Parr/Getty Images

I don’t have an official tracker, but the Angels have to be near the top of the leaderboard when it comes to roster moves made so far this season. On Friday, the club announced that they made three separate moves.

The first move being that they recalled infielder Luis Rengifo from the alternate site. With Rengifo coming up, that meant one player had to go down. That player ended up being Jon Jay, who was designated for assignment. Additionally, the club also selected the contract of outfielder, Scott Schebler.

“It was based on the positions we needed,” Angels manager Joe Maddon told reporters on Friday. “Rengifo had been doing well and Schebler had a nice camp, too. We like the idea that he’s a left-handed bat also. It was something where they both earned it based on what they did in Spring Training and the alternate site.”

With the Angels dealing with multiple injuries over the past week, it’s remarkable how many players have gone back-and-forth.

While speaking with reporters, Maddon Taylor Ward, but said that he wasn’t playing at the alternate site. He said that Ward is currently dealing with “things going on in the world”, so we don’t really know if he’s injured or if he’s just dealing with some personal matters.

“There’s some stuff going on there,” Maddon said. “We couldn’t consider him just based on the amount of time he’s been on the field.”