The Angels are coming off a thrilling four-game sweep of the Houston Astros. They are now winners of seven of their last 10 games, and find themselves only 4.5 games back of the final postseason spot.
“We had to do what we did,” Maddon said on the sweep of Houston. “It was a really difficult four games. That was some warm weather. We got through it, we kept coming back. Starting pitching was pretty good. Whenever you get on a streak, that’s when you’re going to have a tired bullpen. I want to believe we’ll come in here with the right attitude. Let’s rock and roll.”
I love the last quote from Maddon. The Angels definitely have a chance to rock and roll as they begin a three-game series against the Rangers, who have quickly become one of the worst teams in all of baseball. If the Angels can take care of business and sweep Texas, they can find themselves only a few games out of the final playoff spot before beginning their next series.
News and notes
- David Fletcher is getting close to returning from the Injured List. “His due date is Thursday,” Maddon said. “We’ll see if he’s available. I haven’t heard any setbacks.” This is definitely positive news, as the Halos will be getting back their best hitter hopefully before the weekend.
- LHP Hoby Milner has been reinstated from the IL
- Matt Thaiss has been recalled from alternate training site and is starting at second base tonight.
- RHP Kyle Keller has been optioned to the alternate training site
- Franklin Barreto has been placed on the 10-day IL with a left shoulder subluxation (retro to 9/7)